To mark the tenth anniversary of its founding, Stanford's Korean Studies Program (Stanford KSP) held a conference and a set of celebratory activities, February 23–25, 2011.
On February 23, Stanford KSP commenced the anniversary activities with a special public seminar, "Challenges and Opportunities in Northeast Asia," examining the state and prospects of science, technology, and economics in Korea and Northeast Asia.
The next day, Stanford KSP held the third-annual Koret Conference, a closed-session event that brought together an international panel of twenty five Korea scholars and former government officials to discuss the future global and domestic implications of North Korea's current political situation and economic and social conditions. An audience of sixty invited guests observed the daylong proceedings. Myung Hwan Yu, a former Korean Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade and a 2010–2011 Stanford KSP visiting scholar, presented the conference public keynote address, "The North Korean Nuclear Program and Inter-Korean Relations."
On the evening of February 24, Stanford KSP welcomed one hundred and twenty guests—including Stanford faculty and students, and program supporters from the San Francisco Bay Area and worldwide—to a dinner to honor its long-time supporters. The anniversary celebration concluded the next day as conference participants and other invited guests took part in special outings around the Bay Area.
Commemorating the Events
Twenty reporters from major Korean-language media entities participated in the three days of anniversary activities, covering the events online and through print publications and television.
Stanford KSP invites you to explore a wealth of selected media coverage, event descriptions, the tenth anniversary commemorative booklet, related background information, and images.
- Stanford Daily: "Yu urges end to North Korean nuclear program"
- Stanford Magazine: "Korean Studies Program marks ten years"
- Hankyoreh: "Tenth anniversary of the Korean Studies Program at Stanford University" (in Korean)
- Joong-ang Daily: "'DPRK 2012' seminar held at Stanford University's Shorenstein APARC to commemorate the tenth anniversary of its Korean Studies Program" (in Korean)
- Yonhap News: "Tenth anniversary of the Korean Studies Program at Stanford University" (in Korean)
- Yonhap News: "Ten years of the Korean Studies Program at Stanford University" (in Korean)